Monday, February 22, 2010

Bear Hug Student and a Birthday

I mentioned that my family made the trip to Manhattan this weekend. It just so happened that my precious Daddy celebrated his big 61st on Thursday the 18th. Their trip was a great excuse to celebrate his big birthday. Excuse the hormonal moment, but I think it is rather important to take a moment to explain just how precious those birthdays are to me. Just 4 short years ago, cancer almost took my Daddy from us. I am so thankful he is here and mostly healthy...and celebrating 61 years alive!
Friday night I took the family to The Little Grill. This is a local place, owned by a Jamaican man. The food is really good and the atmosphere is even better...especially on Friday nights when the owner picks up his guitar and sings. He plays classics from Van Morrison, Elvis, Bob Dillon and others. To much protest from my nay-saying mother, we headed out for dinner to this little Manhattan secret. I think she thought I was taking us to some one's backyard in the middle of nowhere. And guess what....Everyone had a great time! Occasionally I do pull through, Mother.
After enjoying good food, great company and fantastic music...I asked our entertainer to sing "Happy Birthday" to my sweet Daddy. The host promptly ordered a shot of Hennessy for the birthday man...and Daddy took it like champ! It was hilarious! Mom kept asking "What is Hennessy anyway?"
Our singer even sang "Brown Eyed Girl" to the girls. When we left, everyone had a huge smile on their face and swore we would be back soon. The best part was that we felt like we had been on a mini vacation to the islands despite the outside freeze. PS, it snowed on Saturday. I snapped a few photos to remember the evening. We came home and enjoyed carrot cake and presents. It was a perfect evening!



Prior to our big celebration, I made a trip to the kids' school. Savannah Kay was the "Bear Hug Student" this week. This means she took home the class bear and needed to send back pictures of herself and some forms that shared all about her. In addition to hosting Ted E. Bear for the night...she could invite a parent or visitor to come and read to the class. I made the trek to the school (20 miles outside of town) to read a couple of books to her class (just like a good Mommy should). I think they really enjoyed my visit. I read We're Going on a Bear Hunt and Don't Be Silly Mrs. Millie. Both are really cute little books. My sister Rachel came along and documented the occasion for us. Thanks little sister! Hooray for our little Bear Hug Student!

No comments:

 

avandia class action